Monday, December 3, 2012

A Weekend in Doha


            This weekend went by in a blur. Between traveling all around Doha, working on homework, visiting the sites, and working on things at the Convention Center I am not actually sure how I fit so much in. Saturday I had slept in late after battling with myself in deciding whether or not I wanted to go to the first ever march in Doha. I decided I did not. There were a couple reasons other then the fact that I was incredibly tired. The cause was a good cause, and it was exciting that this march was even happening. This means potentially a more receptive attitude to free speech on the part of the Qatari government, but it also was a direct illustration of the changes that are happening in the Middle East. The downside to this march is that local residents might have a more difficult time obtaining the permits to do something like this. In Qatar there are a lot of migrant worker issues and abuses, and if a group of them wanted to protest I am not sure they would be able to with permission from the government. At least not while the UN is not here. I think Qatar wants to show itself internationally as a modern and free society with its hosting of this conference and the World Cup in a couple years, but they seem to be missing some key components to making this a reality.
            After sleeping in I headed to the convention center to work on homework and the Part of the Solution Campaign. It was a long day, and I am not really sure about everything that I did in those hours while at the convention center, but time slipped past and quickly. I was at the convention center until 7:30 at which point several people from the US and China met up to have dinner. We took several buses from the convention center to Katara, a shopping mall of sorts I guess you would call it. There was a beautiful auditorium in the middle and you can look out into the Persian Gulf. Scattered throughout Katara are restaurants. We went to one, and it was some of the best Middle Eastern food I have had. Considering I have only eaten twice outside of the convention center I guess I was also excited for something different. Hookah smoke filled the air with many different smells and there was a small group of men coming around to all of the tables and playing music. They served just baked pita bread and it was delicious.
            While at the dinner I got to learn more about carbon markets. I was sitting next to a gentleman from China that worked on pricing for carbon markets and research and another gentleman from the Sierra Club delegation that is helping develop and improve California’s carbon markets. It was an interesting conversation that I listened to and the environmental justice implications of the markets are pretty strong. You do not want to just allow those who have money to pollute because they can, and that is what happens in carbon markets, which limits the markets for other items more. It was interesting to hear the perspective of those who develop these systems though. We also talked about the differences in the United States and how the perspectives and opinions of some states can differ so much even when they are right next to each other such as Arizona and California.
            It was eleven by the time that we finished dinner. At that point of time we walked down the pathway to the expo center to catch a bus to the nongovernmental organizations  (NGO) party. Now mind you in Qatar alcohol is not allowed in the country except apparently at beach resorts about an hour away from Doha on the Persian Gulf. So we hopped on a bus not knowing to expect. The bus drove past huge refineries that looked like little cities that were on fire. I seriously thought for a little while that they were going to take us out to the middle of the desert and leave us there to look at the refineries then laugh at us because they got rid of the pesky NGOs J Just kidding sort of. Anyway.. so I went to the NGO party. There were small tables scattered throughout the beach area with blankets and pillows to sit on. It was about midnight when I got to the party and everyone was dancing by the stage. Left of the stage there were camels that people could ride on. It was a little crazier then I was expecting given that it was an NGO party.
            I awkwardly danced in several circles of people in the sand. It got more relaxing and fun as time went on. It was a nice gathering and I got to play in the water for a little while too. By the time I left the party it was 2:00 am. I did not know where anyone in my delegation went and so I hopped on a bus with one of the people that went to the US Chinese dinner because I wanted to get home. We were able to pass the magnificent refineries again… and at 3:00 am we made it back to the expo center. By the time I got back to the hotel it was 4:00am.
            The next day we were out the door by 10:30. Today was my day to explore Doha. We started at the Souq Waqif, which we walked to from our hotel. This would not normally be a problem but due to the lack of sidewalks it was. There was a maze of shops and vendors. They had everything from fine cloths, to spices, to figurines, books, shoes, jewelry, and even pets. They had a table full of baby bunnies. I was able to haggle and find gifts for my friends back home, which is always an adventure. I ended up with several rugs, scarves, a Qatari flag, and little camels. We then ate lunch at a quaint café. It was delicious and really relaxing. It was also the first meal I have had here where work was not discussed in any capacity.
            We departed the Souq for the Islamic Art Museum soon after. The museum itself was on of the most beautifully designed buildings I have ever seen. Palms line the walkway up, and on all sides of the building is the Persian Gulf. Wooden boats surround the building, and you can see the skyline of the modern buildings in the distance. When you get to the top of the walkway you are at a fountain in the shape of an octagon. The style of the building reflects traditional Islamic architecture and art. Entering the building there is a circular staircase that goes to the second floor. From there you can move up to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors all filled with art in some form or another. There is another fountain in the foyer as well as a 5 story window that show the waves lapping at the building below.  The art itself was amazing as well. I saw metal work, books, paintings, rugs, lamps, glasswork, and carvings. Arabic is a beautiful language and is incorporated into art so easily.
            The rest of the day I spent working on homework or in the delegation meeting. We do not have internet at the hotel really so that makes it a bit difficult, but I would say it was a successful weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment