Thursday, December 6, 2012

COP: Approaching going back to reality




            Wednesday I spent so much time preparing for the forest action that my working group was planning that everything else seemed to be pushed to the side. I started the day by facilitating the YOUNGO meeting. I like facilitating meetings and it was fun. After I facilitated the meeting, I went on a quest for fabric. My forest working group was going to do an action, which happened today. For the action I needed fabric because we made a human tree.
            Ashley and I went to the Souq Waqif and went into the first textile store that we found. We bought green and brown fabric and quickly paid. Ashley felt sick and I was trying to get back to the convention center ASAP. Getting around Doha is impossible and takes hours and hours so the whole adventure took about 3 hours. It was really aggravating being on the bus for that long and feeling like I was getting nothing done. So I finally got back to the convention center where I attended some meetings and started my paper for my capstone class. I worked the entire night on both the tree components and the paper. We were waiting in the convention center for the Kyoto Protocol closing plenary, which was scheduled to be at midnight and then was postponed until 11:00 am the next day. It was annoying that we waited so long for the plenary that never happened, but I got my paper done.
            We headed back to the hotel where I cut out giant letters for the trunk of the human tree that was going to say “Finance our Future.” I taped all the papers on the brown fabric that we bought earlier that day. I also started to cut out leaves out of the green fabric. It got to the point where I was dozing off, and so I curled up on the couch and went to bed.
            After four hours of sleep I woke up to finish off the trunk of the tree. Adriana was sleeping on the chair next to me and she looked like a pile of clothes and so that startled me a bit. I had no idea she was there. After being startled we got ready for the day, and walked to the bus stop to go to the convention center. I spent the morning making leaves with messages of noncarbon benefits that forests provide that developed countries should finance to protect. Youth from all over the world helped me make these leaves by cutting out fabric, writing on the fabric, and making branches. It was really fun to make. I also helped out another youth in the working group with messaging for the speech and the press release for our event.
            At noon we started the action. It started off with 4 people lying down in the middle of the floor. No one really knew what was going on. Then Ashley and I covered the young men with the trunk fabric. A person that was holding leaves would be added every 30 seconds to the tree and eventually it formed the shape of the tree with great messaging. About 20 people were on the ground and Sam made a speech about these noncarbon benefits, and how a working group should be made to identify and address these things and support them. A lot of press came to the event and it was a really great action overall. What was better is that this human tree was under the tree shaped structures of the conference center.
            After the action I reorganized my life, answered emails and tried to breathe a little bit. I also did an interview for some students at the Qatar Foundation. I met with the Sierra Club and the Sierra Student Coalition for the last time for the conference. It is strange to think that tomorrow is my last conference day. It seems like I have been here so long, but also like I have spent no time at all here. It is surreal that I will be going back to my normal life, and I am not sure I really want to. Going back to finals, drama with family, and everything else is a miserable notion. Luckily I have super great friends that make it all worth it, but I still am not super stoked to go back.
            Oh well. I had one final adventure of the day. Maria and I went into the plenary room and wanted to take pictures with our country’s plaque while no one was in the room. We took a picture with Maria and the Somalia plaque first. Then I headed over to the US one. I saw an older gentleman sitting next to the plaque and he was on the phone. I sat next to him and Maria was taking pictures of me. The gentleman said that I should take pictures with a real negotiator. So he called over a young man, one of the lower level negotiators and he took some pictures with me. Then I realized who the older gentleman was. It was Trigg Talley, third in line in the US negotiating team under Johnathan Pershing and Todd Stern. He was on the phone trying to change his flight I later found out. I was asking the younger negotiator, or Trigg’s lawyer some questions about the technical aspects of his job, and Trigg started adding into the conversation. He told me how he came to be a negotiator, what kind of education he had received, and the timeline in which he completed all of this. He also told me more about what his job entails. It was really interesting listening from him, and he was very transparent and real with us. It was a really cool conversation.
            After that conversation Maria and I took some pictures around the room and the conference center. We were being super touristy and everything. It was great! It was a great day overall, and I am looking forward to the future, and working on a strategy to the international working group for the SSC. This has been a great experience and a lot of fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment